FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 ()
epfvbfaz : As executor, it is your legal obligation to discharge fully the debts of the deceased from his estate. Once the debts are discharged, you can dispose of what's left according to the terms of the will. If no will, estate administration/succession legislation applies.

  Reply With Quote
  #12 ()
nztjqvbovxna : HOLD THE PHONE!!

Heirs are not responsible for the debts of the deceased. The deceased's estate is responsible. If the deceased does/did not have enough assets to settle all the debts, the unsettled debts go unpaid. Tough luck for the creditors.

Now, here's the kicker. If you and your husband simply took over his brother's belongings, you have converted his estate into your assets, probably wrongfully. By doing so, you denied your brother-in-law's creditors what is rightfully theirs. You are on the hook for the assets you may have taken without due process.

If your husband who is now the executor follows the law, he should notify creditors of his brother's death. Creditors usually have 60 to 90 days to file claims, depending onthe state your BIL lived in. Any assets of your BIL that you and your husband converted to your own may have to be used to pay creditors. I would be interested in knowing how you got your BIL's bank accounts and real estate without following probate a year ago.

If your BIL died penniless, then the creditors get nothing. The executor simply writes a letter to the creditor stating that there are no assets to pay debts. (Expect bill collectors and nasty letters, but stand your ground: there are no assets to pay debts. Unless, of course, there are.)

Since the life insurance policy is payable only to the beneficiary, it is not available to pay creditors. Your husband has no rights regarding the policy, including even knowing who the beneficiary is. Creditors have absolutely no rights unless the beneficiary of the policy was the estate.
  Reply With Quote
  #13 ()
marcinovolok : I live in Arkansas, and I've only seen a few things that tell me the emancipation process but I want to know it all. I'm 15 right now, and I will be 16 in April. I have a job and I'm currently saving money for a car. I'm home schooled, and work a lot. I would like to know if I have to take my parents to court and fight them, or if I can just go get emancipation papers and have a judge/attorney or someone sign it. I have friends that have told me they will allow me to stay at their houses and I make enough money to have my own apartment if I want. My parents don't want me to move out because they're very protective and suffocating. They hold me back from my social life, and they have held me back from working and they won't let me make my own decisions. They don't trust me with anything, and I don't even know why, and they take advantage of the money I make. I want to know what exactly I have to do to be emancipated. What are the steps? Do I need a lawyer? What are the laws on it? I read somewhere that to be emancipated, you need one of your parents to speak in court that they know you can be on your own. Neither one of my parents would do that because they think I'm not ready, but I am. I've been looking at apartments and looking at all the choices I have to make and I am financially stable to pay for everything. (Food,gas,bills,etc.) I want some freedom. I want to be able to take care of myself and not be told I'm a kid. I don't depend on other people I can take care of myself.
  Reply With Quote
  #14 ()
Rinkaliskiply : I had some chicken from trader joes last night and i checked (like i always do) for ingredients that i may be allergic to i.e. treenuts. My experience throughout my whole life has been that when there are nuts or allergens of any kind in the product it shows it under a warning at the end of the ingredients list. My whole life that has been where i look for the allergens and every time if there is one it shows up there. Well i checked this one and there was no allergens listed. After two bites my throat began to close up and i began to have a severe allergic reaction. i ended up having to go to an urgent care and get three shots to stop the reaction because i was going into anaphylactic shock. This product should be labeled better and it almost cost me my life. Do i have any legal recourse?
  Reply With Quote
  #15 ()
whetribather : If they have a list of indgredients on the package and whatever you're allergic to is listed there, then no you have no legal recourse. It's not up to them to delineate your allergies for you.

If nothing listed in the ingredients is an allergen to you, then either something was added to the mix, or it wasn't the food that made you have the reaction.
  Reply With Quote