FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
theomarttesi : Even unbuttoning their coat, straightening their tie it has a reason. for whatever reason. Of course what they say has a purpose ,but what about these things is that true ?

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
Astottope : For a good lawyer, yes. Every action sends a subtle message to the jury, a good trial lawyer is a master of manipulation.
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
EliteScreens : no it is not true. If one lawyer stands and buttons his jacket, and the next lawyer stands and does not button his jacket, it may be that the second jacket is a bit tight.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
icefarcandino : Yes. One lawyer I know buttons his jacket every time he stands up, and unbuttons when he sits down. It shows respect to the court. It's very deliberate. Also which direction he faces, when he stands at the table or goes to the stand, when he shuffles papers -- it's all deliberate. He's sending messages of respect to the judge and the court, intimidation and competence to the other party, and support and strength to his own witnesses and client. It's fascinating to watch. (He's a big-time Hollywood litigator. )
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
andgeiil : Let him sue. Get yourself a lawyer and fight him. There's no way a competent judge is going to award him more time when he's unable to provide his daughter with basic food & shelter.
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
Reommodeswaks : He will not get joint custody, he will however get visitation. If you have nothing in place for child support and never had a civil hearing, you will most likely not get arrears.
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
uncentre : Get your own lawyer and evidence of his drug use and convictions. The convictions will be public record and easy enough to procure. And let the court know about his marijuana problem. The huge can order a drug test. When he fails, you'll still have sole custody.
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
gorodezpup : Depends on the judge but I would say you have an excellent chance of getting his visitation reduced if you can prove his drug abuse. YOu have been very fair with him. Most courts require that a child has it's own bedroom to stay in when on visitation. In addition, you might be able to get the court to make you ex pay your legal fee's in the matter.
As to the back child support, that will go against him in court too.
I think, from what you have said, that you are doing the right thing. You are putting your daughter first and not using her against him. That will always make a judge angry. Stability in your daughters life should be the first priority of the judge and any decision he makes should be based on that and what is in the childs best interest.
this from a guy whose ex used the kids against him and she lost almost all rights to them. She ended up losing custody and getting 1 weekend a month visitation, 2 weeks in the summer and no right to education, medical, decisions. We had a woman judge too.
Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
thurgyFug : Get an attorney, subpoena employment records from the job he lost, and tell him to bring it on.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
swojeksnik : You need to go to court. Once everything is written down then it saves these types of stupid arguments.

You will win in court, so don't even sweat it. It doesn't matter how good of a lawyer he hires. Your the mother and your the current primary care giver. So that gives you two things up. For a father to get custody is almost impossible.

Also, saying it and doing it are two different things. He says he's going to hire a lawyer. But he's full of talk. If he has an extra $100, is he going to use it to pay a lawyer, or will he use it to buy some pot. If he has a court date, will he go, or will he stay home and get high. He'll get high.

So, here's what you do. Go to the friend of the courts office. Some states have a different name, but every state has a department that's in charge of child support. They can give you the papers to get everything going.

If he really does ask for custody, then you should hire a lawyer. But I don't think he's going to do that, so I think we're just talking child support and visitation, and you can do that with out a lawyer.

If he asks for custody, or if there's any problems, then hire a lawyer. In some states you can get the father to pay for your lawyer. Or you can work out a payment plan with a lawyer. Or you can try legal aid.
  Reply With Quote