FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
hahAltessyrar : I rented out a car for a week and unfourtanely during the rental period I was arrested for previous tickets in the past. I was in jail for a week and during that time the rental company towed their vehicle . They charged me 500 dollars for towing and refuse to give me my cell phone and property in the vehicle until I pay them. I don't have the money at the time . Nothing in the contract states they can hold my property . Is it legal for them to take my items ?

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
teriolley : Yes, it's perfectly legal for them to hold your property until you pay them the money.
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
FliecizeMep : Local laws may vary, but they most likely can keep your property until you pay them. And it might not actually have to be included in the contract either. If they had to have the vehicle towed then it could be part of their legal rights to keep any items until they are reimbursed. You could contact a lawyer, but it would probably just be less expensive to just pay them and get your stuff back.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
bertiefeleciau : Yes they can hold up on your property until you pay them the rent.
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
Abinicambicus : No, they cannot legally hold onto your property unless you agreed that they could have your property as "security" for the cost of unpaid rent or damages. You can immediately sue them to return your property and they can ask the court to require you to post a bond in the full amount of their counterclaim. You can also dispute their $500 towing charge as overbearing and unnecessary.

Your state laws may vary.
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
Gufabeenvef : My daughter is going to go live with her grandfather for high school. Where do I go to get the form? Does it cost? How long will it take? Where do I go to file or record the information? Will I need a lawyer? And will I have to go to court?
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
Poendypyday : Cover all of the bases and have a family matters attorney do the work for you. It costs, but it avoids all of the "oops, the other state does not recognize your petition" crap you have to go through with forms from Staples or Office Depot.
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
Jamases : you'd have to ask an attorney who does elder law to be sure (or their paralegal).

I know that for elders, the elder does the power of attorney appointing their relative to take care of their health, finances, and to buy and sell property and such if they are unable to do so (like if they're in a coma or something). I believe each state has a different form approved by the judge that they would use. The forms need signatures, maybe in front of an attorney, and you must be specific and use specific dates for instance, it would be from August 1 to August 30 and while living at the home of the grandfather. The specificity is the reason you'd need to contact the attorney. I'm not sure if a grandfather could have the authority to tell doctors to operate (and then you pay the bill), or that a grandfather would be responsible for the child's food, transportation, etc. I don't think you go to court; it's an in-office type thing.
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
Buyuielrkd : Go to your local court and ask for the papers for third party guardianship.

Your grandfather needs to be legally appointed as her guardian. If you have sole legal custody, it would just be a matter of you filling out the papers and asking a judge to sign them.

If you have joint legal custody (even if her father has nothing to do with her), you will either need the father's signature or you will have to have a court hearing that the father will be allowed to attend.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
paxilelavill : I'm going to disagree with everyone. You don't need to do a thing.

If you want to give the grandfather legal guardianship, then you would want a lawyer.

But you can also just make it a visit to grandpa's house. There's no law that says how long a visit has to be.

They used to say that you had to give written consent for medical. But in this world of being in touch all the time, that's not even necessary. If there's a medical emergency, the hospital is going to call you no matter what.

The schools going to want something. Either you'll have to go with her to register for school, or a note might be enough. Check with the school.

But you don't need to transfer any guardianship or anything like that. You would be in charge for any legal stuff. But really, what kind of legal stuff comes up for a kid. You can write a note for the doctor if you need to. That's about it.
  Reply With Quote