FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
inermainfom : in one word or a few words.

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
zakladykliczko : Study and exam passes.
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
Orgabbade : I went to a small little gas station the other day to put some gas in my car. The pumps looked old and unused. All I had was 3 dollars to put in. The gas was so hard to pump. If I pressed the handle too hard there was no pressure if I didn't press it hard enough there was no pressure and also no gas going into my car. I had to hold the handle at such a perfect position and for such a long time to fill up the 3 dollars woth that my hand started to get numb and tingly feeling. I thought something was wrong with the gas pump I thought it was going to explode! Ever since then I've been having random feelings of numbness and electric shock in the same hand that the gas pump made me feel it. If I go to the doctor and there is something wrong with my hand should I sue that gas station? What if something was wrong with the pump or even the gas line? I'm afraid someones going to get seriously injured there.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
liamnigousnum : People like you are what's wrong with the world. A LAWYER? Over $3 in gas? You'll NEVER prove the gas pump was the reason for these supposed symptoms. Even if you could...what damages do you have? Grow up. Seriously.
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
Tevyemalm : It sounds like you may have pinched a nerve while holding the nozzle. For you to have a civil case, you would have to show that there was something wrong with the handle or gas pump which caused an injury that incurred medical costs, or a permanent injury as a result of negligence by the station owner. If you are seriously concerned about the welfare of others, return to the gas station and report the incident. They may take you seriously, or they may tell you to get off their property, because to be honest, this sounds a bit hokey to me.
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
nztjqvbovxna :
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
JohnMalkovitzch : Depends on what your in court for?

If you are in court for a minor traffic violation you do not need a lawyer

If you are in court for a civil (small claims) case you do not need an attorney

If you are in court for a criminal offense then the judge will not proceed with the case until you have an attorney either court appointed if you meet the qualifications or one you hire

If you plan on pleading guilty, the judge will walk you through that process after numerous questions to you to make sure you understand what is happening and what you are agreeing to by pleading guilty
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
carpinteyrosrj : My father passed away two years ago and left no will. He never had much in the way of money or material possessions, but a doctor was recently found to be legally responsible for a horrible case of malpractice that lead to my father's death. To prepare to receive the settlement, an Estate had to be opened and his long-time girlfriend was approved as Administrator. As none of us live near to where my father did, my two sisters and I (my father's only heirs) were asked to sign papers allowing this woman to take the post. Long story short, although I had misgivings about the woman's character (as she's long been a divisive force in our family), I gave in to pressure from my older sister to simply sign the papers and be done with her once and for all. At the time, I was unaware of the lawsuit filed against the doctor and was not made aware of it until after I had consented to awarding this woman the Administrator position.

Fast forward to now. The settlement awarded to the Estate is to be divided among the heirs. One of my sisters, who knows the woman better, said that she can charge "whatever she wants" for her fee as Administrator, including one-quarter of the Estate value, if she wants to.

1) Is this accurate? Can an Administrator charge whatever they want, or must their fee be reasonable?

2) Both of my sisters are on public disability. The lawyer who handled the suit said he would set up trusts for them ("Special Needs Trusts") to protect their portion of the Estate, and help the Administrator put their money into those trusts. I am the only one who is not on disability and does not need a trust. Is it standard for a lawyer handling a case like this to oversee the dispersal of all the Estate assets, or is that the responsibility of the Administrator. (In other words, will the lawyer ensure that I will receive the money I am due, or will I have to rely on the witch Administrator to send it to me when and if she feels like it?

3) I am not rich and cannot realistically hire a lawyer. What options do I have if she doesn't send me the money in a timely fashion, or at all?
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
napTynccreecy : First issue, you do not say where you live so we have NO idea what Legal System would apply.

He died Intestate - No Will so the law says the property goes first to his children or nearest living relative.

I am surprised that his Long term GF was appointed Administrator but clearly it was agreed to so that's dead.

She can charge what she likes - NO - her charges are limited.

Two Years - too long - she can be forced to bring the estate into settlement - she would have to show that she has acted reasonably. Normally there can be no division for SIX months as Taxes have to be considered and paid.

Write to her and demand to know what has been happening - she has by law to tell you why she hasn't dealt with a distribution and where all the assets and money are.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
FIDonald : 1) NO the state sets the maximum amount an executor can charge generally 3-5% of the estate you can call the probate court in your father's jurisdiction to get the exact number.

2) NO there won't be a lawyer overseeing the dispersal of the estate that is the executor's responsibility BUT they are under time constraints set by the probate court generally one year after the death unless the executor can prove to the court the delay is justified you can petition for the state to appoint a different executor.

3) You would need to lodge a complaint with the local probate court you NEVER should have allow someone you don't trust to administer the estate you could have refused and asked the state to appoint an impartial local lawyer as executor. You can also petition the probate court for an audit of the executor if you think they are stealing from the estate. As for hiring a lawyer most lawyer would take your case on a contingency basis if your inheritance is large enough for them to be paid out of it.
  Reply With Quote