FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
duyanggang10 : I got a notice saying that I could get money from a class action lawsuit if I can prove that I owned stock in a certain company at a certain time. I could do it, but the money I would collect is so little that it is not really worth doing all the paperwork. But now I wonder what will happen to the money I don't claim. If a few thousand other stockholders don't bother to collect their claims, that adds up to real money!

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
shjica4369 : it goes back to the defendant.
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
Bockimike : The money will be distributed to the rest of the people in the class.

And there is absolutely NO reason why you should have to do this.
The company that issued the stock already has that info, and they are required to turn it over to the court.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
ZernTogrera : Yes it adds up to BILLIONS! But it is a pain to through the claiming process. I did it for $67 and the hassle cost me effort (that's worth something) plus cost of notary, postage and the biggie was the IRS tax forms that had to be filed in addition to regular stuff! I wouldn't do it again for any amount less than $500. GOOD LUCK!
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
jajidmeu : Unclaimed benefits (like unspent gift cards) are generally treated under state law as "abandoned property" and go to the state treasury where they can be claimed by the beneficiary at any time.
State laws vary and some actually charge a "handling fee" that eventually eats up the whole amount.
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
Quawsibia : I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada and I sell and ship hay to the United States from Canada on my semi trailer. This is my legal small business and I've been doing this or a long time. Now the people who I sell hay to won't pay me, they ignored my calls, and do not reply to my messages. How do I go about taking them to court?
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
upsellweast : I would talk to someone at your local court to see if it can be done in Canada or if it has to be done in the US. Since it is crossing the boarder, you can even go federal and get all your money plus more because of it.
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
DSjerrold : Since this is across a border, I would get a lawyer.

Otherwise, you can file a small claim in their county, if you want to make the trip.

In the future, it might be worth setting up an account with people first or paying for an escrow service.
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
aoioktoy : Since they live in america, serve them papers (basically telling them that you're taking them to court). All they have to do is touch it and they are legally obligated to come to court.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
GuttwersBeefs : you can't get blood out of a rock bro

how many loads of hay is 10k worth? I only ask to figure out how long you extended credit before it piled up on you.

they probably fell on hard times like lots of others

best spend time getting some new customers first and then, every once in a while drop the old customers a post card and ask them how they are doing instead of asking for money,
and see how that goes

you can legally put a mechanics lien on the ir home or vehicles if you really want to go that far

stop in at your local free legal aid at your local county courthouse

best wishes
  Reply With Quote