FindArena > Find Arena > Law

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
uryanw : My husband was recently in a car wreck and was trying to file a claim ( I'm not going to say who or why) but basically we signed paper work with the guy and then a few weeks later he tells us we have no case because it hasn't happened to anyone else. The way I see it, if it had happened before they'd have a recall on it. Or maybe it has happened before but everyone keeps getting turned down because there's no "record" of it. Is this true? Or does anyone know any good lawyers that handles out of state cases?

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
roinemanath : Yes. If he researched your case and found that the case law or facts are not on your side, sure. If he didn't research your matter, and dig into the facts, you should be concerned, however, most lawyers know already whether a situation is "iffy" or if it is a "winner" or "loser" because they are have to supposedly read a ton of cases in law school and in practice to kind of know. But since each situation can have very unique facts a lot of the time, and it sounds like this was a very specific fact based matter based on a recall, which he probably had to look into, it isn't really that weird, that he had to tell you this later. But you never know, maybe another lawyer is willing to take your case on, without having any other people who have had the problem. However, if you are the first, you will have to prove some other basis other than recall for your issue, whatever it is...
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
necladatio : After he did some investigating he found out that you didn't have a winnable case. You could always get a 2nd opinion from another lawyer, but just because your husband believes that this car wreck had something to do with his car or it's parts (what else would need to be 'recalled') doesn't mean that he has a case that a jury would believe.
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
kranbalke : and I want to sue the state. I was on a road I was unfimilar with and there were no signs to warn me of the very sharp turn ahead so I didn't slow down or anything and I took it kinda fast. I lost control of the car and wrecked and my car is now totaled. Unfortunatly in I've already had two speeding tickets and one wreck which means this is the one that will make me lost my lisence for I dunno how long. I want to get a lawyer and sue the state for their lack of warning, but I don't even know where to start. I was reccomended this lawyer Dan Hunt (I Missouri) but I have no idea how to even get ahold of him and I would need money to pay for him, but I have no credit (not bad credit, just none) Would a Credit Union give me a loan. Help???
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
frontruntex : most lawyers will take you and only get paid if you win and take a %
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
Daudiodia : From everything you have said, noone is going to give you a loan because of your bad credit. If you think you have legal recourse against the state of Missouri you should find an attorney and get legal advice, then probably you should save your money for his fee. I am sure if you look in the local telephone book the attorney's telephone number will be in there. What you need to do is grow up, and correct your credit rating and pay your creditors so in the future when you need to borrow money you will be able to. Noone is going to loan you money. Another option with an attorney is to set up a payment plan, only when you have paid him in full will he take legal action on your behalf.
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
momeNemelve : You answered you own questions.

1. I was unfamiliar with the road.
2. I was speeding.
3. I have two speeding tickets.

You can sue anybody you want, but you will lose and end up thousands of dollars in debt to your lawyer.

Best advice, is to grow up, eat the loss, and drive slower. Hard lesson in life!
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
starrjcrousey : In most places if you did not see the turn early enough and crash your car because you went through it too quick that is considered to be your fault without regard for whether there is a warning sign there are not (other drivers at night, even those unfamiliar with the road almost certainly manage not to wreak their cars on that corner).

You are expected to drive based on the conditions and if the conditions are such that you wouldn't t be able to see a sharp turn ahead at the speed you want to drive at (whether it is under the legal limit or not makes no difference) in time for you to go around it safely then you are expected to slow down to a speed at which you can react in time.

I highly doubt anyone will be giving you a loan for that (and if you try to get a loan for another reason they'll be able to sue you) but if you do want to try it you could try speaking to legal aid (but don't expect much luck) or a paralegal.

BTW: You shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, your personality just isn't compatible with operating potentially lethal devices.
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
tomn067 : If you are caught, the charges can range from first degree murder (killed the manager), attempted murder (tried to kill the cashier), armed robbery (weapon involved), destruction of property (blew up half the gas station), if proven that you attempted to hide evidence, that's another charge.

Once the police have you in custody, police will attempt to get a confession or get you to incriminate yourself further by speaking to them. They may or may not advice you that you have a right to remain silent and so on... if you are smart and chose not to talk to the police, you will be booked and a lawyer will be appointed to you. Considering the charges and crime, you will probably not make bail and you will remain in custody for the duration of your trial. You will be appear in front of a judge where you will be formally inform of the charges against you and you will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty, this is your arrangement. If you plead not guilty, from then on your lawyer will begin to work with you to build your defense. At the same time the prosecution will continue to work on their case to make sure you are found guilty and executed. Jury selection will begin later on. If you violated no federal laws in the process, your case will be handled by the state. If you are lucky, the jury will find you not guilty as there was no proof beyond reasonable doubt that if was you who committed the offenses.

If you are not so lucky and are found guilty, you may either be sentenced to life in prison or to death; if latter, you will remain in state prison until your execution is carried out. If you want to die right away, you forfeit all your rights to appeal and if the state has more than one form of execution, you may be allowed to chose which one you prefer. If instead, you chose to exhaust your options to delay your death, your lengthy appeals process will begin and so delaying your execution for many, many years.

A loophole in the law, a juror who told his cousin about the trial, evidence was mishandled by the prosecution or something else happens and your trial will be considered a mistrial and you will be tried again. While you await your second trial, someone bombs the basement containing everything related to your case and several other; the building collapses killing hundreds and all evidence against you is destroyed and therefore you are sent home for lack of evidence.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
ReliplapseVop : Any death that occurs during the commission of a felony is a homicide. Even if it were your partner in crime shot by a cop during the robbery. You'd be legally tagged with his homicide even though you didn't pull the trigger. Whether it's first of second degree depends on whether the prosecution can prove you planned to kill or it occurred in the heat of the moment.

They can arrest you with probable cause without a warrant. You'd be charged with 1) Armed robbery, 2)homicide, first or second degree, 3) Arson in the first degree, 4) attempted murder 5) destruction of evidence and probably some others.

Arrest/arraignment/preliminary/trial/sentencing - and hopefully execution. Don't worry about infection, they'll swab your skin with alcohol before they stick the needle in.

No, you can't choose your method of execution. It's only done by lethal injection in Texas.

p.s. Federal? For a homicide it would have to be on an Indian Reservation (tribal member), the victim a federal agent judge etc, or federal property is all I can think of.
  Reply With Quote