FindArena > Find Arena > Attorney

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
kranbalke : Hi I was wondering if there's an app that let's you do free calling, free texting, free voicemails, and the calling is up to an hour and yeah I want a good app that looks exactly like an Iphone and yeah and I have tryed Icall and textfree with voice and I can't find a good one that's not liminted to how many hours you have.

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
advoloSailm : I don't think there is, cause I have one, but search it on iTunes you might find one,
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
kartonnik : you can call and text for free on truphone
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
kimmurphyo : I bought a car from my aunt for $500 originally they paid $1500. I put the free and clear no lien title as a gift and in my name. she wrote up a fairly rough agreement saying that I would pay her X amount of money per month until the 1500 was paid off. it was not notarized just a sheet of paper with our agreement. since I have bought the car I have ran into a lot of mechanical as well as electrical issues.

the battery dies constantly and we're not sure if its the battery or worst case scenario it is the alternator. I have not been able to come up with the money to pay her because I have not been able to use the truck to find work. legally my question I guess would be if the scenario where to sit and go into a legal battle would that peice of paper hold up in court?

legally from what I know in the state of Virginia as well as the DMV sees the car as a gift ergo I don't have to pay her shit.
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
Bbnolermef : "legally from what I know in the state of Virginia as well as the DMV sees the car as a gift ergo I don't have to pay her ****."

Obviously, you're not an attorney. If you have an agreement that you presumably signed saying you are to pay her, yes that is a legally binding contract. The mechanical problems are irrelevant, as a used car is sold AS IS unless there's a warranty.
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
Sonephede : What you signed is a promissory note and it is legally binding so yes you still will have to pay the remaining balance plus court costs if your aunt decides to sue you in small claims court. The fact that you wrote gift on the title paperwork has no bearing on the agreed amount to be paid.
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
envivekes : I was driving through a checkpoint and one of my intoxicated friends had put an open vodka bottle in the trunk. They saw the bottle and made me pull over and gave me a ticket for Open Container. Would I be able to argue that it was way out of reach? Or that it did not even belong to me? I was under 21 when this happened and my court date is in a couple days.
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
teesmarne : This offense is typically an infraction, punishable by a maximum $250 fine. However, if you are a driver or passenger under 21 and are caught violating this law, you face a misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and a maximum $1,000 fine.

If the alcohol was was in the trunk, that is a solid defense.

Best defenses for open container violations:
the alcohol was in the trunk,
you were in a "hired" car, such as a taxi, bus or limousine,
there was no probable probable cause for the police to stop you, or
the police only discovered your open container because they performed an illegal search and seizure .
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
cooffcoasoli : How did they see it in the trunk? Why did you consent to a search?
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
shumbamma : I also wonder how they "saw the bottle." However, assuming you are charged with the correct violation, you are guilty. "No person under the age of 21 years shall knowingly drive any motor vehicle carrying any alcoholic beverage . . ." unless accompanied by a parent, or an adult designed by a parent for that purpose, or in the scope of employment by a someone licensed to sell alcohol. (Veh C 23224.)

As you can see, it does not matter whether the booze is in the passenger compartment or the trunk. It does not matter whether you owned it. In fact, it does not matter whether the container is open or not.

This is a misdemeanor offense which cannot be charged as an infraction (though it is usually punished by a fine of about $500). Because of that you need an attorney. If you cannot afford counsel, the court will appoint a lawyer to represent you. If you can afford an attorney, you should have one with you when you appear in court.

An attorney can advise you as to the legality of the search, and a lawyer will be helpful for another reason. Conviction of this offense carries a 1-year driver' license suspension under Veh C 13202.5. Many courts have programs available which will allow you to avoid a conviction and save your license. A lawyer can help you get into that kind of program.

If you are charged with either of the actual "open container" statutes (Veh C 23222, 23223, or 23225), you are not guilty, because none of those statutes applies if the container is in the trunk. However, it is probable that if you raise such a defense, somebody will figure out the correct charge. In many cases I might advise simply pleading guilty to the wrong offense to avoid the amendment, but not here--because conviction of any of those offenses ALSO carries a 1-year driver's license suspension, and that is the most significant consequence you are facing.
  Reply With Quote