FindArena > Find Arena > Attorney

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 ()
Reersumbere : My husband and I have been married 8 years. He came to the US illegally in 1999 and we married in 2004. So that gives him the 3-10 year bar to stay out of the country. He payed for his own ticket and went back to his homeland 3 years ago. We tried sending in 3 extreme hardship waivers, but all got denied. This is getting so frustrating. I've been reading news stories about this immigration reform thats happening on march 4th saying it could prevent separation of families. But my attorney said it wouldn't do anything for us. Anyone know more about this and know what I should do? My attorney wants to make another waiver, should we do that? or wait until March 4th? I'm so confused and frustrated.
My husband is from India and our marriage has been proved real. I believe its called the I-120 marriage approval? And I have visited India 3 times already and there's no possible way I could live there. I have a few medical problems and they lack the medication, and I always get food poisoning there and I almost died 3 times from heat stroke, and I can't breathe from the pollution, I even have doctors letters in the waivers stating I should not live there. The longer he is gone and the more he gets denied, the more worse my depression gets, I had a nervous breakdown the last time he got denied and if he's denied again I may have to be hospitalized, I don't know. They don't seem to care about my extreme hardship.

  Reply With Quote
  #2 ()
Miketymn : you really should talk to another attorney. my husband is also applying to get his residence and the only difference the "reform" will do is shorten the time spent outside the U.S. I think it will only apply to people who have not sent the waiver yet, like my husband. Just to be safe, you really should get another attorneys view about your case. Hopefully it will help in some way. Good luck! =]
  Reply With Quote
  #3 ()
theomarttestmk : The other answer is correct. The new regulation will not apply to you. See it here:
  Reply With Quote
  #4 ()
PogeSoroobete : When your husband left the United States "3 years ago" after being unlawfully present for over 1 year, he did indeed trigger the 10-year bar. The waiver for this, the I-601, is so difficult to get, that there are immigration attorneys who do nothing but waivers. The cost for this is anywhere between $8K and $25K with no guarantee of success.

We have no clue what will be in the proposed comprehensive immigration reform, but I'm 99.99% sure it will not have any impact on your husband's situation.

Now let me give you some more bad news. When you pledged to stand by your man for better or worse, richer or poor, that's something to be taken seriously. The U.S. consulate does take it seriously. So if your husband had to move back to his country of citizenship "3 years ago," you were expected to follow him as soon as possible. It's not "normal" nor acceptable for a loving, lawfully wedded wife to live in the Land of the Brave and Free, if her husband has to eat stale bread in a third world country. I have used this extreme phrase to emphasize that it is very possible that the consulate will even 7 years from now deny him a visa based on the fact that they do not deem your marriage bona fide, but simply assume it was only entered into to provide a former illegal alien with immigration benefits to the U.S. Since the consulate has full discretion here, that would be the end of your husband's American dream for good.

Now don't beat me up for telling you this. It's quite possible that you can't move to your husband's country, and that is indeed one of two requirements for a successful I-601 waiver. I will give you an example for a good reason for an I-601. You are in a wheel chair and are a C3 or C4. Your husband has been your sole caretaker and provider for years and you need constant medical attention that is not available in Mongolia, where your husband comes from. That's a winner right there!

The only country that's really easy going on the I-601 train is Mexico. Ciudad Juarez issues more such waivers as -- get this -- all other consulates on planet Earth combined! You don't mention your husband's country of citizenship, so I can't really guess more to help you more.
  Reply With Quote
  #5 ()
FriendConnor : Illegally is the key word here !!
Leave him in his own country and make him do it legally or not at all.
We do not need anymore illegals here !
  Reply With Quote
  #6 ()
dwerrosseliem : well, the simple reality is that the new rules that take place in March have no effect on people like your husband who've already left and been turned down on waiver applications. The new rule is pretty simple and allows people who are married to American citizens to file for a waiver and get a decision on that without leaving the US. they would still need to leave at some point to get an immigrant visa to return.

So, the only thing this has to do to prevent the separation of families is cut down on the time an immigrant visa applicant would have to spend outside of the US. And, of course, it cuts down on the suspense at the visa interview as well, since you wouldn't have to worry for months about whether you'd get the waiver or not. So, for the people it does cover, it's a very nice deal. But for you and your husband, it makes no difference I'm afraid. It doesn't cover your situation.
  Reply With Quote
  #7 ()
Miztiessy : I like how nobody cares about the feelings of the undocumented and simply say deported them all. I was brought here when I was 12 years old, I had to leave the country when I turned 18 but I didn't because I stayed here with my girlfriend (us citizen) so I'm now 23 married with a 2 yr old son and Considered a criminal since I didn't leave when I turned 18. I support my family and the only help we get from the government Is Medicaid for my son. My wife says she would move to Mexico with me but I don't want my son to grow up in a country with such violence, just lost my job because of my third offense on no drivers license and i was put on house arrest but I will not stop fighting to support my family, I don't want any hand outs just a drivers license and a work permit. Please vote for CIR
  Reply With Quote
  #8 ()
5secondhandmobiless : I recently got married! My wife is 17 years old. I am 20 years old. Serving active duty in the army. Stationed in ky. My wife entered the united states illegally when she was a little girl. She has never applied for anything. We are wondering if we should go through the dream act or just apply for residency. Since she can get baned from the united states for 10 yrs for entering illegally. and also will we have to wait to apply for residency until she is 18? Thanks for your time.
  Reply With Quote
  #9 ()
Affongenice : You can file everything now. As a member of the active duty your wife will be given "Parole in Place." This means she can get her papers while waiting in the USA.

Your base legal office should be able to assist you.

Are you a U.S. soldier who is married to a spouse without legal status? Perhaps you have been told that your husband or wife cannot obtain legal status in the U.S. In such cases you may have been told that your spouse would have to return to their home country where they could face inadmissibility, waivers, and a host of uncertainty. This may not be necessary for the spouses of military members who have been granted Parole in Place.

Parole in Place is a relatively unknown discretionary measure that can be granted by any District Director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If granted, the U.S. soldier is usually able to petition for his or her spouse inside the U.S. for lawful permanent residence without anyone needing to leave the country. Parole in Place requests are considered by the District Director on a case by case basis. One must utilize great care in seeking it and should not attempt to obtain it without the assistance of a competent immigration attorney.
  Reply With Quote
  #10 ()
artrokil : It seems like it would be difficult to raise kids while trying to get training for a job or finding employment. This might help people get off welfare faster while ensuring the kids are looked after.
  Reply With Quote